Tuesday 8 July 2008

90's Nostalgia - Shudder to Think

It's fair to say that the 90's musically for me were fantastic. Virtually every band I hold close to my heart were at their peak during this decade as was my passion for music.

Going to see bands live was a regular occurence and no venue was too dingy, in fact the dingier the better and I have terrific memories of seeing such luminaries as Jesus Lizard, Shellac, Girls Against Boys and Boredoms to name but a few. Post-hardcore was my thing y'see.



One band I didn't get to see was the wondrous (and highly underrated) Shudder to Think, in fact I think by the time I really got into them the band had ground to a halt. This was just after they had released their sublime masterpiece Pony Express Record, an album that I found initially jarring but slowly and surely oozed it's way into my soul.

I rediscovered it the other day, at the bottom of a dusty box of cd's, stuck it on and fell in love all over again. To try and describe the album is futile, it doesn't sound like anything else out there, even now. I think that's why I enjoy it so much.

Above is a live version of No Rm. 9, Kentucky from the aforementioned album performed by Shudder to Think's hugely talented frontman Craig Wedren in 2007, just a taster of the delights to be savoured on this amazing album...1994, ah the memories...

No comments: